Marine Court, Arbroath, purchasing a piece of history.

The Marine Ballroom is a well known building in Arbroath being situated in a pleasant part of the town next to Victoria Park and the Beach Esplanade. It started life as Grant's shoe factory in 1882 and, in 1937 was bought by Frederick Carcone who ran a restaurant at 84-86 High Street. In September that year the Marine Ballroom opened. Two years later, Helen Duncan, who later formed Duncan Dance Enterprises, acquired the business which the family ran until Mr John Air took over on October 24, 1975. In the years before the Airs took over, the Bay City Rollers played at the Marine, as had Christian and Salvation, whose members included Midge Ure.

Scape Homes purchased the building in 2007 having been taken with the unique architecture, sandstone colour and excellent location. This property is being developed into high quality apartments each being a different internal layout and shape from the next. Rodger Brunton, Head Partner of Brunton Design Studio, and a well know Architect in the area, has lent his creative talent to this project and designed a refurbishment of distinction and excellence in internal layout.

The Main Contractor, FMS Construction has been working hard on the building in 2008 and during the early stages of the build paintings were uncovered on the walls of the building internally. Jamie Tosh, Director of FMS Construction, met with The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS) and gave them access to photograph the old paintings. These had been created by Polish Soldiers during the Second World War who were billeted in the building. The following link takes you to the RCAHMS site where images of the paintings can be found and viewed.

The paintings have been preserved behind the insulation in the walls of the apartments so the purchaser of some of the apartments will have a piece of history behind their wall!!

View more examples here

Marine Court, Arbroath, purchasing a piece of history.